Tuesday, April 13, 2004

WILL YOU EVER SERVE ON A TEAM LIKE THIS?

An extract from an email sent by one soldier to her mother...upon the news that her unit will be returning to Germany very soon...and leaving others behind.
Finally this morning we got a call from General Dempsey saying that 1-4 ADA WILL deactivate as a WHOLE unit, and they will NOT pick and choose certain individuals to go back to Iraq, so this morning the Chaplain and the PA were reunited with us, and in about a week we should all be heading back to Germany, as one.

You might think that I should be happy about this?

Am I?

If I said that I wasn't happy to be gong back to Germany, seeing my family when they fly over to see me, then continuing to take 30 days leave and having this HUGE house party that my mom planned for me, I would most definently be lying. I have missed my friends and my family more then anything in the world since I have been over here, and I am ecstatic to see them, no doubt.

However, knowing that I am leaving behind fellow soldiers really takes a toll on me too. So many of my friends and the people I have considered my family for the last year are still over there. The places that my unit and my battalion have kept unharmed for the last year are getting bombed and shot up everyday. The people who we trained to take over our positions are dying in the same spots where we stood not even a week ago. These people who I have taken care of, had their backs, like they had mine, for the last 365 days--are still out there. It hurts me, and in a way I feel like I abandoned them.

So as much as I'm happy to be able to be safe, these people will be on my mind every minute of everyday, until they, too, are home safely.

Please remember that this war is still going on. Now, more then ever, people are dying, people are getting hurt. It's not a joke. It's not something that is fake. This is a reality. I came to that conclusion 3 days ago when I stood outside my 5 ton seeing the bullet hole that easily could have killed me. It's not a joke, its not something that "doesn't happen to me." It's happening to YOUR sons and daughters, to your friends and families, and they need your support. Don't forget them in your prayers every night.
Beckie, we are glad your daughter is homeward bound...and proud to have such a wonderful person on our team.

No comments: